THE INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY OF EGYPT’S LIBERALS AND ISLAMISTS IN A ‘WORD’
The replacement of the word ”almaniya/secular/ عَلْمَانْيِّة’ by ‘madaniya/civilian/ مَدَنْيِّة’ in Egypt is not a benevolent deception – it is a devious one. Will explain:
– Some say ‘‘almaniya’ was replaced by ‘madaniya’ because many in Egypt have sensitivity towards the word ‘almaniya’ since it is taken by the Islamists to mean anti-Islam; so some liberals do-gooders wanted to ‘deceive’ the simple folk by using a veiled word (madaniya) that they hoped could give the same meaning as ‘’almaniya’.
– In fact, these guys, by accepting to use the word ‘madaniya’ in place of ”almaniya’ are just fooling themselves, since ‘madaniya’ can never give the same meaning as ”almaniya’.
– ‘Madaniya’ means ‘civilian’ which refers to a state that is not run by the military but by civilians; and a civilian state can be either a secular or theocratic state.
– The Islamists, of course, welcomed the intellectual dishonesty of the liberals who replaced ”almaniya’ by ‘madaniya’, and all the way they took ‘madaniya’ to mean something else, Islamist to the core.
– The Islamists refer to the word ‘madaniya’ to mean neither a secular state, and most importantly, nor a civilian state. ‘Madaniya’ in their literature refers to the State of Madina (دولة المدينة) which was inaugurated by Muhammad in Medina (Madinah/Medina), Hejaz, in the period 622-632 AD. That state was religious, led by Muhammad himself, and military, since he and all his follower men were soldiers in the army. It was a theocratic state.
The conclusion is: neither the liberals of Egypt, nor its Islamists, have been honest in this matter. Both have embraced the word ‘madaniya’ while all the time meaning something else than what the word entails. I say, cowardice and intellectual dishonesty are significant factors in Egypt’s current plight.